Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Cultural Differences

When traveling anywhere that is out of the country you should try your best and educate yourself on the differences in the culture. When I traveled to Japan it was almost a whole new world for me and I'll admit it did take me a good amount of time to become somewhat accustomed to their style of living.


With this post I am going to do my best to break down what it is you should know when traveling to the beautiful city of Tokyo.


1.) Language. At times the language barriers would become very frustrating to me. Something as simple as going out to eat could be made into a task because I did not know how to explain exactly what I wanted and it'd be a little confusion going back and fourth from me and the waiter and I until finally I figured out how to communicate it. The good thing about Tokyo is that majority of the restaurants when you go have pictures of their entrees in a display window outside and sometimes they are even labeled with a number. This makes it much easier to explain what you'd like as you're meal. Usually the Japanese are very good and patient with foreigners who may have some difficulties with the language barrier. Which brings me to my next point.


2.) Generosity. It makes me a little upset to admit that sometimes Americans manners are not all there when it comes to helping others who are from outside the country. When I boarded off the plane in Tokyo and went to customs it was all so quite and the people behind the desk were extremely friendly in greeting us all and welcoming us into their country. However, when I arrived back in the states and went through customs some of the workers just felt like they had better places to be and were plain rude. Giving that vibe off to foreigners I'm sure doesn't make them feel very comfortable. In Japan, if I ever needed help getting to a certain destination the citizens on the street would be more than happy not only to give me directions but some would even show us the way to where I was looking to go. In the United States, you're lucky if you get someone to acknowledge you, at least in a city.  The generosity in comparison to here was absolutely amazing. I felt so welcomed and safe feeling as if I could literally rely on anyone.




3.) Curiosity. When visiting a Japanese family ALWAYS remember to take your shoes off! It is considered respectful. Not only that but when you're walking around a city with a wrapper or some sort of garbage you won't find garbage cans sitting around. In Japan trash is considered a personal thing. So hold on to it until you get back to you're hotel or homestay because it is very unlikely you will see a trash can. (Little fact: Even with no garbage pales lying around Japan is still considered one of the cleanest cities.)


4.) Technology. Let me tell you if you're looking for the next best phone, ipod, stereo system, etc. Japan is the place to find it. They are the most advanced country when it comes to these gadgets.


5.) Being Quiet. Although a lot of their cities are somewhat like the one's here in the United States there is one major difference. Our cities consist of honking, people talking on their cell phones, impatience, yelling, and pushing. As long as you get to your destination there's no one or nothing that matters. However, that is completely opposite in Japan. When I was walking through the city of Shybuya on a saturday night I never have felt so much silence in a city. It was the strangest feeling I had ever crossed upon. Even walking into a bar or resturant conversations consisted of almost what I would consider soft whispers. The Japanese are very soft spoken people so for those of you who are like myself where your speaking voice is almost an echo at times make sure to watch yourself!


6.) Fashion. I could not get enough of the fashion in Tokyo. Guys wore purses and girls were obsessed with fur heeled boots with mini skirts. However, the fashion is amazingly diverse over there. People can walk around in whatever and instead of being judged they are admired. A perfect place to witness all the great fashion is on a sunday in Harajuku. If you thought Lady Gaga had crazy style well then you're in for a real surprise. These people walk around in outfits that would STUN people here in the United States except over there people use it as inspiration.


                                                                            Harajuku


7.) "Excuse Me." It is the most common word to say. Even when your apologizing "excuse me" is the phrase most commonly used. So remember that Excuse me translated is SUMIMASEN.


Hope these little tid bits helped!!

1 comment:

  1. It's always interesting to learn about culture in different countries. I've always thought Japan would be a cool place to visit, I bet you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete