Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Japanese Food

Attention all Americans planning to visit Tokyo...the delicious food we call hibachi here in the states is not what to expect when you're heading over to Japan. We have definitely over portioned, glamourized, and highered our calories to make the food geared more towards the American way, when in actuality it's completely the opposite.
Wonder why the Japanese are so skinny? There portion sizes are much smaller than ours and the food is much healthier. When I visited the popular dishes were ramen noodles, rice, sushi, chicken, dumplings, fish on sticks (yes an ENTIRE fish on a stick), and moshi. It took me a few days to adjust to the food and I will admit on the occasion I would head to an Italian or Chinese restaurant. Personally, I would recommend the sushi. The fish comes fresh from the markets everyday except Wednesday's. So heads up travelers and maybe stay away from the fish on hump day. I found the best food to be during the festival in the first few days into the New Year at Thunder Gate. They had everything from chocolate and strawberry covered bananas to grilled potatoes to lo mein. All which were exceptional.
If you're looking to save some money and something quick to eat you can head over to just about any grocery store and purchase pre-made food that is also quite good.
All in all, I think you will like the food. Some may take a little longer to come around than others but the point is your in another country trying to learn about the culture. So yes, of course it's going to be different and if you don't like it I promise they do have other alternatives! Just give it a chance.

        Eating rice and chicken scours at one of our favorite resturants not to far from our hostel in Asakusa

2 comments:

  1. I hope I get to go to Japan. Cute layout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though it's not intentional, it seems like all my favorite things come from Japan. And yet I never really tried Japanese food outside of instant ramen. Also, I think it's hilarious that you went for Italian or Chinese when you wanted a break from foreign food.

    ReplyDelete